« back 

Documents for employment

Employers are required by law to notify Jobsplus of any new employees by completing an engagement form. Self-employed persons are also required by law to complete this form. Any termination of employment is notified by completing a termination form.

Jobsplus will acknowledge all engagement and termination forms received within fifteen days of receipt. Forms are to be sent by post or by hand at Jobsplus, Sir Arturo Mercieca Street, Victoria Gozo VCT 2024 or by email at hriu.jobsplus@gov.mt. Engagement and termination forms can also be submitted through the online facility. For further information, employers may contact Jobsplus on 22201957.

New entrants in the labour market

If an employer is recruiting a person who has never worked before, the following documents must be presented:

- A copy of the employee’s identification card
- The NI 3, which the new employee must acquire from the district office of the Department of Social Security
- The employment licence in the case of a third country national and EU nationals undergoing a transitional phase
- A certificate from the Department of Citizenship and Expatriates, Evans Building, St. Elmo Place, Valletta in case of a person born aboard but who possesses dual citizenship.

Restricted employment of minors of compulsory school age
Legal Notice 110 of 1993, Paragraph 6 stipulates that no person shall employ a minor of compulsory school age except:

- Where the Minister responsible for education grants written permission to employ such minor in terms of article 43(1) and (2) of the Education Act; or

- Under an apprenticeship indenture or training scheme approved by the Minister responsible for education in virtue of article 43(3) of the Education Act.

For more information, please click here